If you haven't made your trip to the Dallas Farmer's Market yet or if you haven't been since their facelift of "The Shed", you need to go! W and I went for the first time about a year ago but hadn't been back since last weekend. We decided to go early on a Saturday (I always like beating crowds) and scored BIG. Everything you see in the last picture (bell peppers, spinach, eggs, lemons, blueberries, tomatoes, and asparagus) was $18! Yes you read that right, $18!
I must admit, I am a grocery store hopper. I know where the best produce deals are and who has the cheapest/best gluten free goods -- my life is like a game of Supermarket Sweep (do y'all remember that awesome 90's gameshow?!) So when I got three pints of blueberries for $5, you would have thought I won the berry lottery!
MY FARMERS MARKET STEALS
- 20 cage-free brown eggs for $3
- 3 pints of blueberries for $5
- 4 organic bell peppers for $4
- A ginormous bag of spinach for $2
- Some vendors accept credit cards, but bring cash! It makes for an easy, smooth transaction.
- Don't forget your recyclable bags!
- Don't be afraid to bargain -- if you don't want the full bucket of produce or want to mix and match, just ask! It definitely helps when you are buying multiple items from one vendor.
- Walk around to find your best price -- prices vary from vendor to vendor.
- Do a taste test! Vendors are always giving out samples of what they are selling.
It isn't all about produce either! The Shed has a wide variety of different vendors: cheese, homemade pasta (they have Gluten Free!), spices, pickles, honey, free range meat, homemade soaps, and more!
To plan your visit, head over to the Dallas Farmers Market's calendar to see the days/times they are open along with other events happening around the market.
Happy Farmer's Market Shopping!