Can we just start out by saying how sexy I look in those goggles?! It's totally going to be the new trend y'all. Haha.
Anywaysss I stopped by For the Face a few weeks ago for a Dermaplane facial by their amazinggg aesthetician Colleen. I was heading to W's holiday party that evening and wanted my skin to be nice and glowy! This was my first time trying out dermaplanning and y'all, I am now addicted.
If you have never heard of dermaplanning, it is a skin care treatment that removes dead skin cells (as well as any peach fuzz on your face) by using a small blade by swiping up on the skin. I was a tad nervous that it would hurt at first because after all it is a blade on your skin but I didn't feel a thing! It actually was quite soothing! My skin truly glowed afterward (although it's a little hard to tell in these photos -- the first photo is the "before" and the last photo the "after"). My skin has seriously never felt so soft!! In addition to the actual dermaplane treatment, Colleen used a variety of products on me which I outlined below.
Being in my late 20s, it really is time to start taking my skin care more seriously. Not that there is anything wrong with my neutragena face wipes and face wash but I need to really start with a skincare routine that is best for my skin type and to promote collagen so that my wrinkles don't get any worse (yes, I already have fine lines on my forehead!!) Colleen was nice enough to give me some samples of the products she used on me and I am still loving them and thinking that I will need to pull the trigger to purchase the full size products.
I truly loved how Colleen walked me through all the different types of products she was using on me and letting me know why they were good for my skin and their long-term benefits. I've listed out the products she used below if you're interested to find out more! You won't find these in Walgreens, ladies!
Also, I will be giving away a complimentary dermaplane facial by Colleen on Instagram this week! So be sure to stay tuned there to find out how to enter!!
- Trentinoin: use right after cleansing. This is the most clinically validated topical anti aging product you can use. It rebuilds your skin from the inside out and stimulates collagen and elasticity for more firm, plump skin. You may see some side effects with this product (such as redness, dryness, flaky skin) but they will subside in about 4-6 weeks.
- Clear (Hydroquinone 4%): This helps even skin tone and prevent discoloration after a peel by suppressing melanin (what gives our skin color) from being produced.
- SPF: Now this is what I thought was super interesting! Have you ever heard of a physical sunscreen? Because I had not! A Physical sunscreen has a mineral active ingredient such as Zinc or Titanium in it. This is what you should be using as opposed to a chemical sunscreen (what most drugstore sunscreens are) Chemical sunscreens have a chemical reaction on the face that takes 20 minutes to go into full effect and only lasts 2 hours. Chemical sunscreens are greasy and very irritating to the skin. Zinc and Titanium work immediately by creating a shield that reflects UVA and UVB rays.
- Elta MD Cleanser: Will not strip your skin. Most store bought cleansers over dry and dehydrate your skin
- Vitamin C (topical): is the only antioxidant proven to stimulate your own collagen and is the 2nd most important vitamin to use topically to fight aging.
- Micro-Eyes by Neocutis: This eye cream uses peptides (chains of amino acids that mimic collagen and other skin components to promote healthy skin) and caffeine to reduce fine lines and dark circles.
- Hydrate B5 Gel: This gel/serum is for dehydrated and/or dry skin. This product uses Hyaluronic Acid (which is naturally occurring in our body and is what is used in most injectable fillers), to hydrate and plump skin. Each molecule of Hyaluronic Acid holds 1000 times its weight in water aka an extreme hydrator. It is ideal for oily but dehydrated skin. Also known as a glass of water for your face!
- DermaClear: This serum/lightweight moisturizer is ideal for thick sun-damaged skin and/or acne prone skin. It breaks down the thick layer of dead skin on the surface, kills bateria, and unplugs oil from pores. It's a leave on treatment serum and can cause redness, irritation, and itchy burning sensation when you first apply. But your skin will acclimate to this product and the side affects will dissipate over time.
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH FOR THE FACE. ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!